For anyone who’s ever managed or assisted someone that’s managed a community, you know that while a rigorous posting schedule is a solid strategy for boosting fan engagement on Facebook, it’s easy to get stuck in a rut, post-wise. It helps to have a few quick tips and stats at your fingertips to provide a fresh perspective on brand updates and give your overall interaction numbers a little jump-start.
Luckily, our friends at Buddy Media understand this, and they’ve distilled 2 weeks of post statistics from more than 200 major brands down to a few simple tips to improve Facebook engagement:
1) Posts containing 80 or fewer characters had higher engagement rates than posts longer than 80 characters (and yet less than 20% of all posts studied were this short!)
2) Brand posts outside of business hours showed 20% higher engagement on average (but more than 60% go live during business hours)
3) Thursdays and Fridays showed the highest rates of engagement overall
4) The lowest rates of engagement came on Saturdays
5) Words like “event” and “winning” boosted engagement higher than “contests” and “promotions”
6) Posts ending in questions are good, but posts ending in questions that ask “where”, “when”, “would”, and “should” (rather than “why) are better
Next time you’re looking to change up your posting routine, consider employing 1 or more of these strategies and see how your own community responds!